Friday, February 4, 2011

Free Audiobooks

The following is from "Electronic Audio: Looking for Success"
by Kathleen Meulen at VOYA Online
[accessed 2/4/2011]

Audiobooks and Free Audiobooks App by Cross Forward Consulting available from the iTunes App store.

http://www.travelingclassics.com

I spent the summer downloading and enjoying the free audiobooks that are available from this easy-to-use audiobooks app by Cross Forward Consulting. Their Web site boasts over 3,500 audiobooks that are available for quick download directly to a smart phone or an iPad. The content comes from the LibriVox project (http://www.librivox.org) which finds volunteers to read books that are in the public domain. After sampling several, I will have to say that some narrators are much better than others. I was suitably impressed by the narrator of the first book I listened to: Ruth Golding, reading Riddle of the Purple Emperor by Thomas Hanshewe. I have yet to find another with the same clear pronounciation and lovely English accent. With most of the narrators, there’s the occasional mispronounced name or word but it generally is not a major distraction.

The fact that users don’t have to download the file for transfer over to the device is what we are going to see in the future and I appreciated the ease-of-use for this app. I can certainly recommend it to my students who have access to a device like a smartphone or iPad.

Electronic Audio: Looking for Success
Kathleen Meulen

December 2010

No comments: